Festivals and carnivals are the spirit of people’s life in India. I am a huge festival person and I love the different colors of my nation. One can enjoy the festival gala time in India every month. My personal favorite is Holi and I enjoy it with my family and friends. We know that India is a secular country and it has diversification of cultures, religions, languages and castes. We are always crowded with fairs and festivals in almost every month of the year. Each and every festival is celebrated uniquely in different ways followed by rituals, beliefs and narration behind.
It will be not wrong if I say that festivals these days are upon us with its waste and emissions. The power, transportation, and material impact on the grounds where the festivals are held in, makes them hard to validate environmentally. Well, small initiatives if communicated well can make a big difference upon environmental impacts caused by the waste and emissions during our festival season.
I think there are certain convincing methods that anybody can follow during the festival season to avoid the risk of degradation and uncertainties.
- Say no to crackers: I have been doing this since more than 10 years. Be green and celebrate an eco- friendly festival
- Rang De Basanti – play with your own colors: Turmeric, heena, Sandal are some of the things that you can use. Isn’t cool to just celebrate it with your own style and flavors
- Strengthen your relationship and bonds: Make your gifts instead of buying them and explore the new talent in you. Art out of waste, scrap-books, hand painted photo frames, eco-friendly lamps, cards can be your new in
- Gifting plants: Send flowers to that special someone when you visit this season. Sending a tree or a plant is the best one can gift to their loved ones
- We say Cleanliness is next to Godliness: We become really excited when the festival is coming nearby, isn’t! We call for the yearly cleaning- up process which might bring out some of the old stuffs like gaming boards, skates, old books, clothes, stationery and lots more. Do give some of those to someone who really needs it
- Be balanced with the lightings, speakers and air conditioners: Turn it down when not needed. Cameras will be clicking moments to be remembered. Do use rechargeable batteries for all battery operated devices
- Plan your shopping and carry a reusable bag on you: You could be a trend setter and a big style icon for others
- Say no to waste: Recycle, Reuse, Reduce
- Go Local this season: Instead of buying stuffs online, promote the local vendors and rural art this festival